Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Confectionary Chaos

This month two of my friends from work had their birthday on the same day (well, their birthdays are always on the same day the month doesn't really matter, except that next month it wouldn't be their birthday it'd just be a day and...oh, never mind): My mentor Roxanna and my zombie friend Sarah. Roxanna loves to make and decorate cakes. She always goes over and above on her family's birthdays and brings in cakes to work all the time (My birthday cake last year was particularly delicious). In fact, March 4th ended up being the birthday of four people at work. Roxanna felt obligated to do something, but she didn't relish the idea of making a cake on her own birthday. So, zombie friend Kellyn and I decided we'd make cupcakes and decorate them! I like to draw cartoons and she is quite a painter so we thought it would be a breeze and a blast. I think you see where this is going. The following are a few of the cupcakes that we made. As a preface, most of these shown here were done by me because by the time I took the pictures, Kellyn had left with her half to bring to work the next day.

We start out pretty traditional; a few balloons, a little confetti...



Everyone's initials so they feel that personal touch. Oh so important in a work environment.



And then, of course, there's the iconic birthday...ladybug?



And I really didn't want the guys to feel left out either.



It was at this point that the whole "birthday" idea went right out the window
and everything went haywire.
Let's see if you can guess what the next two are:

A walrus! Wishing joy and presents on your special day.
This cupcake actually does make a trifle bit of sense.
Well, only in that it's a private joke between me and my zombie friends.



A Phantom of the Opera mask! What, you don't see it? It's the white.
Yeah...I've got not explanations.


Sometimes creativity is not the best when it comes to cupcakes.
This came about from a response to the question,
"What should I put on this one?"

The Holly Jolly Birthday Cyclops! Doesn't he look cheery?


There were even a couple that were so Jackson Pollock-esque there was no hope.
They simply got covered in sprinkles.



Amazingly enough, we never received much of a response out of these abominations beyond a "thanks" and "delicious". So I guess there's hope for humanity after all (though I do admit that as soon as the cupcakes were down, I took the Cyclops myself. I couldn't just leave that out there!).


3 comments:

  1. Hey, this gives me a whole new venue/idea of family art projects.

    Scribble art + add on game + cupcakes + Nelsons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Fun, Frolicky conFection. I actually like the wallus. It reminds me of the style of the hamsters. What a crea-cutie you are!!! While at it I went ahead and read and reread the rest of your blogs. I love your write ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could I propose that the ladybug might also be an illustration for the drug ed lessons I did in grade school this week? Think lungs - - -and the effects of tobacco smoke . . .
    Yeah, gru-u-u-usome, I know, but I'm thinkin my 2nd graders would really go for that.

    ReplyDelete